Thursday, April 28, 2011

Not so far ahead of my time...the secret of community college

A few days ago, I wrote about the higher and higher cost of post-secondary education. I predicted that at least for the middle class, community college attendance would become a smart and sound educational path. It seems I'm not as far ahead of my time as I thought. Just yesterday, NPR had a segment about community college specifically because of the outrageous cost of college, especially private college. The segment considered whether there is any real disadvantage to attending a community college rather than spending (pun intended, of course) all four years at a private college or even a state university.

I'm glad my children are of an age that will allow them a less competitive application process than might be the case even just five years from now. I believe within that time, middle class families will realize that saddling themselves and their children with student loans that burden them for up to three decades post-college-graduation is not a smart idea and not "worth" it. Upon that realization, with an obligation to buy health insurance with the income that once might have paid college loans, parents will say, "Go to community college!"

No comments:

Post a Comment