Thursday, February 17, 2011

PB and What Kind of J?

The posts have been pretty serious of late, so I thought I'd lighten things up.

A friend shared a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with me last week, and it was made with strawberry jam. It got me thinking about jelly/jam and people's preferences. For the most part, I think our preferences are somewhat like hair color, only slightly less genetic of course, and more from the "nurture" than "nature" camp. Most of us likely prefer the flavors with which we grew up. If your mother or father (or whomever made the PBJs in your house) bought and prepared a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with strawberry jam, then you grow up and use strawberry. My mom used grape usually. I like grape, but as an adult prefer raspberry. My mom bought raspberry sometimes since that is what my father preferred. However, I think grape was cheaper, so it won out as the "preferred" by default.

As an adult, raspberry is probably my favorite. I still like grape. I love more exotic flavors like Stonewall Kitchen's gourmet raspberry, peach champagne, or even just plain peach. Blueberry is pretty tasty, too. While I was more than thankful and grateful for the PBJ on wheat I got from my friend at work, I have to say I'm not a strawberry jam person. It was fine in a pinch. I'd just never buy strawberry jam.

Feel free to weigh in on this all-important topic. What's your favorite jelly/jam flavor? Smooth or chunky peanut butter? What kind of bread do you prefer for this delicacy of convenience and nostalgia?

P.S. Thanks to Stonewall Kitchens for "lending" me their image. I assume they won't mind since I'm complimenting and promoting their products in this post.

3 comments:

  1. I like the Polaner Fruit Spreads, especially the blueberry. It's funny, when I was growing up apricot jelly/jam was never a favorite and now I love it. You know what else tastes good if you want to change it up a bit? Tahini and honey or agave nectar. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I usually use what's cheap, though Ocean State Job Lot has some pretty bizarro flavors sometimes! I like Stonewall's, but pricey for a tightwad like me. My standby is seedless raspberry, as it is a major ingredient in my favorite chocolate cake, and having it on hand is a must (more likely to make cake if I don't have to shop for it specifically). Growing up, definitely grape, sometimes homemade by my dad from the Concord grapes that grow wild in the woods nearby, mmmmmm. I once made crabapple jelly when I lived in Seattle, which was pretty good actually (since you add so much sugar) and works well as a base for other jellies (no pectin needed as it is naturally occurring in apple skins). wow, didn't know I had so much to say about jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about apple jelly! My grandmother used to always have that at her house! I have had homemade Concord grape and it is amazing.

    Chris loves "seeded" raspberry and I'm not sure why as the those seeds always get stuck in teeth, so my favorite is seedless raspberry, too.

    I like the Polaner, too! I haven't tried the honey thing, and will have to do that!

    ReplyDelete